Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's The End Of The World As We Know It... NOT!


So, these scientists in Switzerland were supposed to be causing the end of the world this week. They were going to do this by spinning lots of stuff round in a colander or something, thus creating mini black holes that would suck us all into oblivion.

I for one was looking forward to this and am slightly disappointed to find myself still here.

I had three days off last week to try and collect my sanity before the start of term but they didn't really help. I spent most of the time sitting on my butt reading Jilly Cooper, ignoring the washing up and generally having a fine old time. Instead of rejuvenating and refreshing me the time off just threw into sharp relief how much work blows at the moment. Waking up on Monday morning was unbelievably awful and dragging my ass into the office was even worse. Sigh.

Next week is Freshers Week and if those scientists had managed to completely destroy the world I wouldn't have had to face the students coming back. That would have been sweeeeeet.

Mind you, if the world had ended I would not have got my new boots. I obviously wouldn't have been around to care though so it's not much consolation.

Still, I've not over-reacted as much as that poor lassie in India who committed suicide. I don't want to speak ill of the dead and it's a freaking tragedy but killing yourself seems to me to be one of the most stupid and futile responses to the end of the world possible. I mean really, WTF? That's like chucking paraffin on a chip pan fire.

No comments: