Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Burgertastic Baby!…And also BBQlicious beeyatch!

Summary of weekend: Marj stuffs her face :o)

The weekend was kicked off in fine style on Friday evening with a slap-up feed from the Jasmine in the good company of Cat, Rachel and Ruth. Such a feast we had! That place really is the mutt’s nuts by the way. Oh! The prawn crackers! So thick and crunchy. Mmmm. *drools* I’m getting a bit wussy in my old age and all that good food and, of course, wine had me yawning my head off and almost falling asleep by about 11pm. Or that could have been a result of the emotional trauma of being forced to watch Big Brother for the first time this year. Gah! Who let those awful people on telly?? It’s flipping painful to watch is what it is. I am really of the opinion that they should just make the BB house as close to Winston’s world as possible and feed them with nasty gin and fags that fall to bits. Now that I would watch!

During this ordeal I received a couple of texts from Naomi in Brataslava and I’m hard pressed to judge which of us was witnessing more horror. Poor Naomi, supposedly relaxing on holiday, was having a surreal time in “a huge metal shed (exhibition hall) watching dodgy 80s pop acts who Graham is all excited about and who I’ve never heard of.” About an hour later I was informed that they were now “listening to Sam Fox attempt to sing Touch Me very, very badly.” I was assured that it was very painful and I did not wish I was there at all. I regarded the caterwauling cretins on the tellybox attempt to backstab and shag each other I thought to myself “Don’t be too sure of that dolly!”

On Saturday morning I woke up at about ten past eight and thought “Feck! Feck! Feck! Have I slept in? Why didn’t the alarm go off? Oh my God! Am I going to be late again? Fuuuuuuuuck!” Then I realised it was Saturday, allowed myself a small “Woo hoo!” and went back to sleep.

The weather on Saturday was hot and sticky and yuck. I had to gnash from Fopp in Rose Street to the one in Cockburn Street in order to pick up Kelly’s birthday present and by the time I got there I was not a pretty sight. Eeeeeeeeuw! I don’t do humid. Luckily I didn’t have to do too much moving about that evening as we were at Kelly and Andy’s new house for her birthday BBQ. A proper house with a garden you can char meat in – how groan up they seem! I’m sure it’s all a front though ;oP

After we had stuffed ourselves silly with charred meat and things on sticks (hoorah for things on sticks! Pineapple, lamb, tofu, mushrooms, etc…. though not all on the same stick…) we adjourned to the living room where some damn fool got out the Giant Jenga set. Jenga freaks me out by the way, I just can’t handle it. It dates back to an unfortunate incident of combustible over-indulgence in my younger days. *shudder* I can watch people play it now but I’d still rather not join in myself. I think my fear is quite justified when you get to the silly arena of Giant Jenga. We were discussing if your work would buy it if you phoned in sick with Giant Jenga concussion and I’m sure many people have already. Those blocks look lethal.

On Sunday a BT contingent headed out to Tantallon for more BBQ fun, despite the lovely Scottish weather – i.e. it was pissing down. At least it meant the beach was quiet. We had a bit of a fiasco trying to get there as we had a convoy of 5 cars and only a vague notion of where we were going. We got there in the end though, after blocking the harbour at North Berwick – oops! Ali had brought a gazebo which took about 6 of us to erect but once it was up it did the job a treat. In no time we had the disposable barbies fired up and various yummy foodstuffs were cooking away. I even went for a paddle in the sea – and laughed at the wussy Ozzie and Italian who got as far as dipping a toe in and then running away. That’ll be the Celtic blood and lard insulation :oD On the whole, despite the precipitation, the day was hailed by all as a great success and I hope we do it again soon.

No comments: