Tuesday, June 05, 2007

WTF?


So, I get a lot of junk mail sent to my work account. The spam filters are rubbish so I'm always getting emails telling me I've won the Eurolottery or that somebody needs help to get $17 million out of the Ivory Coast or something. I generally just delete them straight away.

This morning I think I was spammed in the name of art. I got an email entitled Banksy: Manifesto which I almost deleted straight away. The fact that I recognised the name Banksy made me pause for a moment and wonder if that email was just straightforward spam? I could see in the reading pane that there was a link at the bottom so I Googled "Banksy Manifesto" and came up with several sites, the main one being this one:

http://www.banksy.co.uk/manifesto/index.html

Now, it would seem Mr Banksy is trying to make a point about... um something I guess. I'm not immediately sure what that is though. Call me a thicky philistine but I sometimes need pointers in my art appreciation. There was no information on the website about the point he's trying to make or why I got an email directing me to the site, and that's just annoying in my book.

What's even more flipping annoying is I just had a look at the rest of the site and I really, really like what I saw. Dang it! The drawing above, for example, just makes me chuckle and the Statue of Liberty one at the end is hilarious.

Well, he made me think anyway and must be applauded for that. However, if anyone can shed light on the email that started the whole thing I'd be most grateful!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The Banksy manifesto is talking about how the application of paint can make a difference. He uses an extract from the diary of one of the first british soldiers to liberate of nazi death camp Bergen-Belsen in 1945.
from http://straddle3.net/context/03/en/2003_12_03.html

Marj said...

Thanks dude. But why the fork was it emailed to me? Is this guerilla art or what???

Unknown said...

"Painting a picture in a public space to make people think or smile is criminal damage. Flogging your product via TV, radio, billboards, spam email, adverts in urinals, 'free' gifts for kids, peer pressure et all is known as marketing. Banksy understands this."

Marj said...

Thanks dude. I knew if I whined enough you'd explain it. You're gonna make a great mum! ;oD

Unknown said...

the wonders of the internet! well, at least the marketing works and we both visited the site!!