Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Funk to Funky



It's kinda worrying how happy a DVD box set can make you isn't it? Or is that just me? Probably. Sigh.

I spent a lot of last week in deep anxiety that the postie was going to pilfer my mail, or should I say male? Mmm, Gene Genie.

In a frenzy of rabid fandom I pre-ordered my Ashes to Ashes box set on Amazon almost as soon as I could. For some stupid reason, I can't for the life of me remember why, I put the delivery address as my flat instead of work. Whyyyyyy? Why did I do that? I didn't realise I had until I got the confirmation of despatch email and then, as I said, I spent several anxious days waiting for it to be delivered. I thought perhaps if the Ashes to Ashes DVDs were the same size as the Life on Mars ones were then they would fit through my letterbox.

However, the postie either a) can never get access to the stair to deliver the mail through letterboxes or b) can't be arsed climbing the stairs. The perpetual pile of mail at the bottom of the stairwell is a constant annoyance for me because nobody else in the stair seems to want to deal with it. What do they think? The Mail Fairies take it away. Gaaaah. Just don't get me started.

Anyhoo, joy of joys the note from the Royal Mail to say that my parcel couldn't be delivered finally appeared on Friday afternoon. Hoorah! I almost considered getting up and going to fetch it on Saturday morning but in the event the lure of my bed was too much to resist so my DVDs had to languish at the sorting office over the weekend. Poor things.

I eventually managed to retrieve them on Monday evening but was forced to socialize with a good friend and drink wine instead of rushing home to watch the entire series all in one sitting. Waily! I did manage to squeeze in one and a half episodes before bed though. Hoorah! It's really quite thrilling to watch them again with the knowledge of where the series goes and what the twists are. I'm having great fun trying to spot the clues and looking for hints as to where the next series is going to go.

And of course, I'm falling in love all over again with Gene Hunt. They really sexed him up for the 80's by the way. He's all slick and Thatcherite Gene Genie. Phwoooaarrrrr! For my gentle readers who haven't seen Life on Mars they will not know what the hell I am on about. Suffice to say that Philip Glenister, as DCI Gene Hunt, is one of the hottest unlikely sex symbols ever. I remember the relief I felt when I found out that it was actually ok to fancy him. Phew! I'm not as big a sexual pervert as I thought. Honest guv!

The fan forums on Facebook are making this one of the most enjoyable bits of television I've seen for a good long while as well. I was able to keep up with the episode discussions without spoilers because I'd seen them when they were broadcast and I've been reading the theories about where the series is going with interest. If some of the more perceptive fans are right there's more to the Gene Genie than meets the eye, a whole hell of a lot more! I won't say anything here because I wouldn't want to spoil Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes for anyone that wants to go and check them out. However, I would heartily recommend you do, especially if you enjoy the likes of Get Carter, The Sweeney, The Professionals and Starsky & Hutch.

So anyway, continuing my theme of attractive men, above is a picture of the delicious Philip Glenister. He's so handsome, no?

No? Oh well, all the more for me! :oP

No comments: