Monday, July 07, 2008

Wait, What?



So, in my job I occasionally I get sent emails to send on to students. They are usually in regard to summer school courses, essay competitions, conferences, etc. You can imagine the sorts of things. Today I got this one forwarded to me for student interest which said this:

Online application is possible now for the M.A. International Relations Online, starting this October!

Um, what? The students I deal with are all here, at this university, doing either an MA in Politics or and MA in International Relations. Buh? There's a few that I'd like to encourage to go and study elsewhere but I don't think I'm really allowed to. Should I blithely send this on as suggested or should I take a step back and think about it for a few minutes? I tend to go with the latter option.

Oh, and while I'm having a bit of a rant (but a fairly quiet one) I spotted a packet of McVities reduced fat chocolate digestives in the supermarket today. Sheesh! I hate those products. Stop flipping kidding yourself and just don't eat biscuits! I guess some people like the reduced fat version of things like crisps and biscuits but I think you should just stop deluding yourself and try to learn to like the low fat alternatives. As a sporadic dieter for the best part of the last 16-odd years I've found that after a while it does actually work. Of course, something comes along and you get right back on the lard wagon eventually but you don't try to tell yourself that it's really ok to eat 6 bags of crisps because they're baked instead of fried. Plus, they usually taste like cardboard anyway which just adds to the misery and self-flagellation that being on that kind of diet engenders.

Sorry about the rant but that's been bugging me. Blogging is supposed to be cathartic, right?

Anyhoo, I'm off for a cup of tea and some proper chocolate biscuit action. Dipping carrot sticks in your cuppa just isn't the same!

No comments: